The advancements made in Medical Science and improved health/medicare has led to an increase in the longevity of our elderly. It is estimated that the U.N. estimates that by 2025, the population of people who are elderly in India is expected to be about 160 million. While this is something to celebrate, since Indians have always admired the elderly, believing the presence of their elders and their blessings, however, it also implies a huge responsibility. It is our main obligation to safeguard that family elders be able to live in dignity, security and security, as well as their physical, financial as well as mental, spiritual, and emotional wellbeing. In the wake of the demise of the family unit and the children’s move to distant cities or even relocating due to work reasons, parents are frequently forced to provide for themselves. Sometimes, those who are older and living together with their children aren’t receiving the help and attention they need, because of a variety of reasons. Unfortunately, the fast-paced lives and shifting value systems have frequently caused abandonment of the elderly in families due to absence of time or any other reason. We all need to ensure that our elders are valued, loved and appreciated – and allowed their own space.
The aging process is an inevitable phenomenon; however the severity and pace varies from one to person, many people who are older experience decline in their functional capabilities at an advanced age, even though they’re otherwise healthy. It becomes more difficult to carry out everyday activities such as ADL. Mobility issues, movement problems within and outside of the house frequently hinder the ability to complete household chores, run the errands, making essential visits to the doctor or other medical professionals. As arthritis is a chronic condition, it makes it difficult to maintain personal hygiene – bathing, using toilets and dressing, grooming etc. increasing the chance of injuries and falls. Particularly, seniors living on their own tend to be unobservant about their diet, fail to take the necessary medications promptly, limit social activities and outings as well as becoming sluggish and avoiding essential physical activities such as strolls or Yoga and tend to ignore their overall health leading to depression, loneliness and the escalation of illness often. In addition, the likelihood of experiencing an emergency increases as you age. Seniors can be insecure, isolated and feeling helpless.
Options for Seniors
Let’s explore the various options that seniors can choose from and their personal preferences. There are many assisted living facilities that cater to people with different socioeconomic backgrounds, including retirement homes, old-age homes as well as hospice care for the palliative needs of older people. It has been observed that the need for independence is the main concern of senior citizens. The ability to remain at home in your home that is filled with nostalgic memories, and within familiar surroundings is a source of sentimental value and contributes to the level of comfort and emotional wellbeing of an older person. While they wish to remain at their helm and continue to live a life as independent however, they’re not able to manage due to issues with age. Thus, the best and cost-effective alternative to senior facilities and hospital care is to hire an experienced caretaker in your home. You can pick from night-only, daycare or a full-time live-in caregiver (which is the most effective). Choose a reliable, secure and cost-effective Eldercare provider after thorough study.
The research suggests that one fifth of senior citizens live on their own or with a spouse. Elders who are parents are also often faced with these problems due to the fact that even if they wish to, their children, who might be working full time as well as managing the household as well as childcare, and a busy social life, aren’t able to do it due to their busy schedules, and it can become challenging and stressful for their families. So, there are two situations where senior citizens themselves , or family members should seriously think about engaging in professional caregiving for their vital needs.
The characteristics of a successful caregiver
There are a number of excellent elder care providers that have emerged over the past few years. However, it is crucial to examine the history of the company and the range of services they provide as well as the effectiveness and efficiency of the service they provide.
- The caregivers must be properly trained and verified with the patience of devotion, commitment accountability and honesty.
- Furthermore, a caretaker must be compassionate and show compassion for seniors and love doing their job with a heart. Giving elders a helping hand with “seva-bhav”.
- The caregiver must be ready for unexpected events and think out of the box – they should be trained to be frightened in any situation and be able to manage it efficiently and without making the client feel uneasy.
- A wide range of elderly clients, who have complicated needs and temperaments, requires the caregiver to put aside individual preferences and opinions of the caregiver to adjust and make connections with the older.
- The scope of responsibility could be extensive, based on the mental and physical state that the individual being looked after for, however a dedicated caregiver can make a real change in the lives of the clients in all aspects.
All-round physical mental and emotional well-being and happiness is something that we all strive for and want for ourselves and our family members. If we’re unable to handle as an older person living on their own or as an elderly couple living together or as the children of an elder trying to take care of the parents who live alongside us, we ought to consider seeking the assistance from a qualified caregiver.
The many ways that a caregiver can enhance the life of a loved senior.
- Assistance with daily chores and household chores; cleaning and dusting laundry cooking, eating ironing, washing dishes and gardening, etc.
- Assistance with basic functions such as mobility problems, walking aid with personal hygiene including bathing, toilet dressing grooming.
- Reducing the risk of injuries or strains, falls and injuries.
- Running errands-grocery shopping, banking, insurance post-office, dry-cleaners etc. Paying bills, driving or accompanying elders on various appointments.
- Monitoring of medical and health ailments. Making sure the right medicines are taken at the appropriate moment. Assuring the physical health of the elderly through walks and appropriate exercise, yoga.
- Maintaining overall health through creating balanced, nutritious meals, with occasional desserts.
- Offering reliable and pleasant friendship and encouraging social interaction excursions, which reduce loneliness and isolation, keeping depression at low.
- The presence of the caregiver at home reduces the burden of family and family members. Peace of mind for the elder and family members as well as the next of kin.
- Allows you to live independently at home with dignity, security and security. Focus on the individual and personal care build confidence and strengthens bonds increasing emotional satisfaction.
- The assistance of a caregiver results in more time for leisure to indulge in activities and social activities of your choice.
- The presence of the caregiver and their assistance encourages a fresh enthusiasm for life. They also increase their self-confidence due to a tidy routine, clean house and a well-groomed appearance.
A trained and well-trained Home Caregiver can provide all the different kinds of help that a senior might need, as you read from the list above. It is also based on the particular requirements and capabilities of the customer.
However, it is equally crucial to find an Eldercare Service provider company which knows and appreciates elderly people and addresses the entirety of an elder’s requirements. In order for the caretaker to work with the company to coordinate emergencies or other assistance for the elderly client. In the areas of security, health, emergency information and convenience. If required the business can schedule doctor’s appointments and provide certified, experienced physical therapists, nurses, counseling to help with post-operative treatment and chronic illnesses. An eldercare service that can help you in every sphere of activities that are connected to Life.
Prayaas Eldercare is dedicated to serving the elderly. It Provides Best Caretaker for Elderly in Mumbai.